Anna has tried out and been in our church's Children's Christmas program for a couple if not three years now. Kids in grades 1st through 5th can be in the program. This year, both kids wanted to try out. I told Owen and Anna that sure they can try out, but to know that a lot of kids try out each year and only a few make it. I told Anna that she's been in it a few years so they may give someone else a chance and I told Owen that he may be on the young side just to make sure they know it's not a given. With that in mind, though, we practiced the try-out song over and over, I kissed them and wished them luck at the tryout door, and let them go in.
Fast forward a few days and we went to check out the results. Anna made the cast, but Owen's name was not on the list. He made it until he was outside to start crying. I mean, sobbing, crying super hard while his shoulders were shaking. I felt HORRIBLE. I told him how sorry I was and that it was probably for the better because he'd have more time to play. And, I hugged him for a LONG time. When he felt better, we headed home.
Anna and Owen seem to fight a little more these days, but I was so proud of her not gloating, but also trying to make Owen feel better while celebrating on the inside.
Now, fast forward a few more days... I was walking our dog while the kids were at school and I received a call from the Christmas program organizer. She had made a mistake and could I call her back? I thought, oh no, maybe Anna didn't get a part...
So, I called her back and guess what?!?!?! Owen, DID get a part! He did! A small part, but a part indeed!! She just accidentally left it off the cast list. I couldn't believe it.
I told Anna at school pick up and she squealed with joy! We decided to not tell Owen and have him check the cast list once more at church that night. At first he didn't go for it, and said something along the lines of why would I check it again, I know I didn't make it.
When we got to church, we talked him into it and lo and behold, his name was there. He did a little dance and jumped for joy! So excited!!
The fun and best part of this is this is the ONLY time my kids will ever be in the same production. They are so far apart in age, things like this don't happen very often. So excited!!
The program dates are set for December 13th and 14th! Come and see them!!
No comments:
Post a Comment